Avalara is growing rapidly, automating taxation worldwide. We need our content development tools and infrastructure to scale as quickly. The Director of Content Platform and Tools reports to the Sr. Director, Customer Learning, and is responsible for building a strong technical team who can deliver a scalable and efficient content pipeline. Our goal is to have an extensible, re-usable content repository that supports multiple authors and endpoints. Our content includes product user interface text, interactive guides, help center content, and learning material.
What you’ll be doing in this position
Manage a fast growing team, and build content authoring and delivery systems that enable global learning experiences and drive content development program efficiencies.
- Build global learning platforms, tools, and documentation to deliver local and global experiences that scale across Avalara
- Recruit and manage great talent, giving program managers and engineers opportunities to learn, succeed, and grow in their roles
- Partner with Customer Learning leadership to manage the content development process, including sprint execution, Jira management, and tracking progress.
- Partner with engineering and content to automate taxation information, manage global strings, and deliver intelligent re-use
- Streamline publishing and content creation through automation
- Strategically evaluate the various publishing channels and mediums available for content distribution (e.g. documentation website, blogs, support forum, videos) and establish a clear philosophy for leveraging those avenues most effectively for content distribution
- Work with engineering leadership to build product development methods that enable us to manage a continuous release and publishing environment
- Identify ways to increase the ratio and satisfaction of self-serve customers
- Continuously seek and vet new technologies and properties for delivering global content
- Identify opportunities for efficiency in documenting continuous releases across products
- Build relationships with stakeholders company wide, developing an operating model that scales with a growing business
- Prioritize opportunities for engagement based on business case and data, and measure progress by KPIs
Above all, you must know how to understand and influence in a rapidly growing business with evolving systems.
- You thrive in an emerging environment that provides a changing set of products, issues, and opportunities
- You’re an expert in your field and you genuinely enjoy helping others get there too
- You’re a content person who’s technical; you care about using technology to create the best solution for customers
- You notice things that could be done more efficiently, and you enjoy reducing complexity.
- You’re a natural collaborator, willing to work through challenges to find the best solution
- You have great ideas and you want to work somewhere that you can finally try them
- You want to create something big and important from scratch
Be prepared to share examples demonstrating these qualifications during the interview process.
- Directly relevant experience working for an enterprise or SaaS software company in product documentation technology (8-10 years)
- Experience building technology to support multiple consumers and publishing channels, including partners, self-service customers, and developers (5-7 years)
- Experience creating documentation and documentation processes for emerging products, services, and/or technologies (5-7 years)
- Experience leading teams through change, and building teams to maximize employee satisfaction and productivity (5-7 years)
- Experience with writing and editing for the web and working with markup languages and front-end web technology (5-7 years)
- MA or BA/BS degree in Technical Communications, Journalism, Engineering or relevant professional experience
- Experience developing and managing a content management system (2-4 years)
- Experience localizing visuals, graphics, and videos (2 years)
- Experience managing a Learning Management System (LMS) (2 years)
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Experience with Salesforce development
- Experience with DITA and structured XML documentation
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.