Avalara, Inc., (www.Avalara.com), is the leading provider of cloud-based software that delivers a broad array of compliance solutions related to sales tax and other transactional taxes.
What is it like to work at Avalara? Come find out! We are committed to the following success traits that embody our culture and how we work together to accomplish great things: Fun. Passion. Adaptability. Urgency. Simplicity. Curiosity. Humility. Ownership. Optimism.
The Senior Engineering Cost Optimization Manager is responsible for oversight of Engineering AWS forecasting and analysis, annual budget development and various projects. Role includes keeping within expected budgets, schedules and adhering to the company’s finance and quality standards. Employees in this position will interface with Engineering leadership, Product Management and Finance to initiate budget planning, modeling and alignment.
As a Senior Engineering Cost Optimization Manager , you will drive the AWS strategy and contribute excellent analytical and strategic thinking skills to drive our business forward. The successful candidate will have a proven track record for driving down AWS costs. This is an exciting role that provides full finance support to senior Engineering Leaders and offers significant scope for leadership of individual projects that drive growth. In this role, you will work in close partnership with Avalara SaaS Ops and Development teams.
- Manage AWS costs, included day-to-day evaluations, analysis, and business partnering across the product engineering and SaaS operations teams.
- Implement cost reporting and attribution reporting to track spend to budget and identify opportunities for cost controls.
- Able to drive ambiguous ad hoc analytical projects to improve the operational outcome for engineering partners.
- Analyze PO, Invoice, Payment, and Vendor data to provide insights including trends, opportunities, and/or spikes. Plan and execute efforts to deliver value from those insights.
- Prepare estimates, cost options, cost strategies, change order reviews, valuations of work in progress and reporting
- Acts as lead individual on AWS spend management and controls
- Compiles and analyzes data on all factors that influence costs, such as; salaries, software, hardware, services and other operating costs.
- Accurately forecasts costs of future projects and changes to existing projects for SaaS Ops, including AWS expenses
- Prepares technical evaluations, cost estimating draft reports, memos, and letters and presents recommendations to management.
- Undertake other cost-related tasks as directed by supervisor
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- High degree of understanding AWS services inside/out, and experience in analyzing usage for savings.
- Minimum Education (or substitute experience) required: 4 year college degree in Engineering, Finance, or Cost Estimating
- Minimum Experience required: 5-10 years relevant experience
- Skills Required:
- CPA, CFA, MBA or relevant advanced degree.
- Power BI for dashboards and reporting
- Track record of successful performance in prior role(s), with increasing levels of responsibility. Track record of successfully managing and influencing complex cross-functional initiatives.
- Ability to take charge, set objectives, drive to results while building long-term relationships across organizational boundaries with all levels of seniority.
- Ability to deliver high-quality cross functional projects, work well in ambiguity and change.
- High level of intellectual curiosity: a passion for understanding and explaining as well as excellent attention to detail, leadership, and people skills.
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use.
Avalara offers more than 700 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, e-commerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers.
Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.