Avalara, Inc., is a leading provider of cloud-based software that delivers a broad array of compliance solutions related to sales tax and other transactional taxes. We are pioneering technologies to make the complicated world of sales tax easier for our clients. Be part of a cutting edge technology company that is constantly striving to “wow” our customers through innovation and relentless focus on excellence.
Avalara’s Director of Engineering Operations (reporting to Avalara’s CTO) is looking for a spectacular Senior Program Manager to own the charter program and SDLC process for Avalara Engineering and Product.
This role is responsible for shepherding new product and engineering ideas through the charter process and overall SDLC to drive the communications, collaboration, programs and processes needed to deliver on Avalara’s vision. This role’s on-going, primary, deliverable is to build and manage the flow of new ideas through the charter process, delivering business leadership collaborative recommendation on investment ideas and needs.
As part of this process this role will also extract from SMEs the LOE, potential risks and opportunities based on strategic input, ROI evaluations, leveraging feedback from around the business.
This role requires strong business acumen, great process development and refinement skills, strong knowledge of product and SDLC design and marketing disciplines, and outstanding interpersonal communication and influencing skillsets.
In addition to being an excellent listener and communicator this role requires an ability to negotiate change management. This is a career accelerating opportunity – come help Engineering Operations drive a better tomorrow!
Bonus points for stellar experience budgeting for a large organization.
- Establish and drive to charter program and/or project milestones and deliverables partnering closely with Product Management to review charter proposals, access ROI and drive accountability.
- Build common SDLC process to increase efficiency and consistency across 15 product development teams.
- Communicate and operate in a matrix environment, collaborating closely with operational roles, IT and other groups to manage critical projects on time and budget and to a high level of quality.
- Work closely with stakeholders, senior management, and outside organizations on project progress and communicate issues and risks and mitigation strategies.
- Drive and execute on broad, complex initiatives across product lines, providing program governance and oversight.
- Help develop and maintain scorecards and dashboards and track and improve program specific KPI’s.
- Manage Engineering wide ROI analysis and cost expenditures to plan and assist with organizational budgeting operations.
- Mentors and coaches project team members as appropriate
- 7-10 years of Technical/Project management experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science or other related field
- Ability to influence staff without direct reporting authority
- Deep program and project management skills
- Experience with Agile development methodologies
- 2 years of software development experience
- At least 3 years’ experience in SaaS technology company in a program management or similar capacity
- Project Management Professional Certification a plus
- Thrive in an entrepreneurial, fast paced environment
- Excellent communication skills
The perks of working at Avalara go beyond amazing physical spaces and a Tiki Bar. We’re committed to continued progress in diversity and inclusion. As an employee at Avalara, you’ll have the opportunity to join resource groups focused on diversity of thought, engage with your local or global community about topics that matter to you and the organization and receive continued education around inclusion and development. As Avalara grows, so do the voices within it. It’s time to hear your voice.
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, gender, nation of origin, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law. We thrive on diversity and encourage people from all walks of life to apply to Avalara’s open positions.