DataCamp is building the best platform to learn and teach data skills. We create technology for personalized learning experiences and bring the power of data fluency to millions of people around the world. Our learners get real hands-on experience by completing self paced, interactive data science courses, practice, and projects from the best instructors in the world, right in the browser.
We are an international team with backgrounds in education, data science, design, psychology, biology, linguistics, engineering and more. We are united by our passion for impacting the future of education.
About the Role
As our first General Counsel, you will take full ownership of all legal aspects within DataCamp:
- You will own a range of issues from sales and partnership contracts, data privacy, intellectual property, employment and HR policies to helping in fundraising and (board) administration
- You will turn the current ambiguity inherent in a fast growing company into solid (legal) processes. Over time the expectation is that you can build out the legal infrastructure and team to support our growth as needed
- You support teams from all functional areas, including the sales, engineering, product, marketing, finance and HR, on a broad range of legal topics with business and strategic implications
- You will accelerate our growth by finding a good balance between managing risks, facilitating fast-paced innovation, and optimizing legal processes
You will be based working out of our NY office and support, in collaboration with outside counsel, the legal aspects across all international offices (currently UK and Belgium).
What we’re looking for
- A JD and several years of relevant experience in law firms AND in-house legal departments in a technology company
- Strong core corporate / transactional experience - drafting, reviewing, negotiating, and advising on a variety of transactions, including software and service agreements
- Drive for efficiency and ability to leverage technology to optimize processes
- Good understanding of most legal aspects relevant for a technology company and a demonstrable track record of quickly learning new areas of law as required
- The ability to provide timely, effective, and strategic legal advice in a fast-paced environment
- Teamplayer with sense of humor and strong work ethic who is comfortable working in a dynamic environment and collaborating with various internal teams
- Pragmatic mindset towards balancing risk management and supporting fast paced growth and innovation
- Flexibility to adapt and thrive in an environment that is constantly changing with an ability to prioritize and re-prioritize based upon the needs of the business
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
- High level of personal integrity and professionalism
- Member of the New York Bar (in good standing) or eligible to register as New York Registered In-House Counsel
It’s a plus if you have:
- Specific experience with SaaS enterprise sales
- Deep knowledge of data privacy law and security related issues
- Prior involvement with ISO and/or SOC compliance audits
- First hand experience in growing from 100 to 500+ employees
- Experience working both in the US and Europe
- Affinity with data and/or e-learning
DataCamp is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.