Avalara is searching for a software developer to work on AvaTax, Avalara’s tax determination engine. Join our team as we strive to be part of every sales transaction in the world.
A successful candidate will be a well-rounded software development engineer with a proven track record of delivering SaaS at scale in an Agile environment.
- Read and understand requirements and search out ways to “go big” to solve the underlying problems
- Be inquisitive and learn about the world of accounting, tax compliance, audits, and business practices whenever the opportunity presents itself
- Implement both SQL-based and NoSQL-based data storage solutions in the appropriate contexts
- Understand and plan upstream and downstream impacts of software changes
- Develop from the perspective of an attacker and demonstrate every way something could go wrong
- Sketch out your own test cases in the planning phase
- Write integration tests and unit tests
- Collaborate with team members on code reviews and test plans
- Work with product management and subject matter experts to ensure that each feature is useful for, and simple enough to be understood by, the target audience
- Design solid data models and make effective use of database technology
- Constantly seek out ways to do a better job and improve automation
- Computer science degree or equivalent experience
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in a software development role shipping complex applications to large scale production environments
- Ability to write great documentation
- Passion to see your product be the best in the business
- Development experience in multiple programming languages with a preference in C#
- Deployment automation scripting experience (Terraform, Packer, Jenkins)
- Familiar with containerization technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, ECS)
- Experience with .NET Core development
- Familiar with SQL and NoSQL databases (SQL Server, Postgres, MySQL, MongoDB, DynamoDB)
- Cloud (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
- Familiar with AvaTax
- Free beverages (beer, pop, espresso, juice tea, nitro cold brew!)
- Coolest office in Seattle (winner of GeekWire’s geekiest office https://www.geekwire.com/2018/revealed-winners-of-the-2018-geekwire-awards/)
- Ping Pong, Foosball, and Cornhole
- Good work/life balance
- Motorized sit/stand desks
- Subsidized ORCA card.
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transactional taxes, including VAT, sales and use, excise, communications, and other tax types. We deliver comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions that are fast, accurate, and easy to use.
Avalara offers hundreds of pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications. Each year, the company processes billions of tax transactions for customers and users, files hundreds of thousands of tax compliance documents and tax returns, and manages millions of exemption certificates and other compliance related documents.
Avalara’ s venture capital investors include Sageview Capital, Battery Ventures, Warburg Pincus, Technology Crossover Ventures, Arthur Ventures, and other institutional and individual investors. Avalara’s headquarters are in Seattle, WA and it has offices across the U.S. and in Brighton and London, England; Brussels, Belgium; and Pune, India. More information at: www.avalara.com
The perks of working at Avalara go beyond amazing physical spaces and a Tiki Bar. We’re committed to continued progress in diversity and inclusion. As an employee at Avalara, you’ll have the opportunity to join resource groups focused on diversity of thought, engage with your local or global community about topics that matter to you and the organization and receive continued education around inclusion and development. As Avalara grows, so do the voices within it. It’s time to hear your voice.
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, gender, nation of origin, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law. We thrive on diversity and encourage people from all walks of life to apply to Avalara’s open positions.